In no particular order, this is a running list of problems which I’ve experienced and that I’d like to see solved. Most items warrant much decomposition.
- Organizations tend to become more bureaucratic and extractive with scale and age.
- Regulations tend to stifle innovation and competition and have unintended side-effects.
- Humans die of natural causes.
- Interacting with doctors, hospitals requires tons of waiting.
- Most students don’t get attentive, supportive instruction either at school or at home.
- The climate is increasingly volatile.
- Homeownership is an unproductive and unsustainable wealth-building vehicle.
- Traffic is enormously costly.
- There’s an incomprehensible amount of animal suffering in the world.
- Inputting text into a phone – whether by thumbs or voice – is slow, unreliable, disruptive.
- People have a lot of memories they’re unaware of.
- Sleep is unproductive time.
- Things sell out sometimes.
- Structuring and cleaning source data to be usefully queryable is expensive.
- When joining a preexisting team, it takes weeks (at minimum) to get caught up to speed.
- Remote work lacks natural serendipitous + social interactions.